20.6.11

Make Your Own Spa Salt Scrub


I adore bath and spa products.  When I have had a rotten day, the right products can literally wash away my stress and give me fresh perspective.  The perfect bath can set my world right!

Buying bath products can get pretty expensive, so I found a way to make a homemade salt scrub that is just as fantastic as the scrubs from Origins or Bath and Body Works.  You can do it too!  I added notes about where to get some of the ingredients.  I am in NO WAY compensated by any of the companies I mention.





Here is the recipe:

  • Dead Sea Salts and/or Epsom Salt
You can buy salts at so many places.  You can get them locally at stores like Sun Harvest or Whole Foods, but you can get them less expensively at Mountain Rose Herbs online.  They are only around $5.00 per pound at Mountain Rose.
  • Almond Oil-  (so good for your skin and a light fragrance to it)  Mountain Rose's Almond Oil is only $6.00 per 8oz!
  • Grapeseed Oil (I love how light this oil is)
  • A plastic or glass container:
I re-use gelato containers to hold my scrubs because they are food-safe durable plastic jars that will not wear down over time or break in the tub.  You can buy these containers brand-new as well.  Look for PET jars online.   PET is commonly recycled, and has the number 1 as its recycling symbol.  You can purchase them at Natures Garden or SKS Bottles.
  • Fragrance-  Optional- You add just around a 1/2 teaspoon per cup of oil and salt.  Avoid fragrance if you have sensitive skin!
I use fragrances from Natures Garden because they are phalate free and smell fantastic.  The combination I use in this recipe is Blood Orange and Rosemary Mint that has peppermint and spearmint notes in it.  It smells like the salt scrub from Origins!  Their fragrances last a long time and are only around $3.00 per 1 oz. bottle.  Also you can buy AMAZING essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs- an incredible company.  Buy Peppermint, Spearmint, Rosemary and Orange Blossom oils.

You can make your scrub with a combination of Epsom Salts and Dead Sea Salts or add some finer grain salt for a finer scrub.  You can add a lot of salt or just a little, depending on how abrasive you want your scrub.  I like a LOT of salt.  The oils and scent will stay on your skin adding moisture and a glow.   I would not use this on your face or any other delicate areas.

You can also add big spoon-fulls to your bath for a wonderful salt soak.  Dab some on a back loofah and scrub away...Ahhhhh....

I spent around $40.00 for ALL of my ingredients and still have around 2lbs of salt left and my fragrances are hardly touched.  You can make it even less expensively if you use just Epsom Salt.  The oils go more quickly, but I have made more than 48oz of scrub.   One 21oz jar of scrub RETAIL from Origins is $32.00. 


Happy Crafting!


0 comments: